HMS Beagle Model Ship Project
Week 15-17: Raising the bulwarks (Jan 24 - Feb 13, 2011)
Glued the long sections of the pre-made bulwarks onto the deck. Used heavy dumbbells to bend and hold them in place. Had to insert some pins along the port side to get the bend right.
Filled in some gaps between the deck and bulwarks with wood glue and thin strips to get everything looking somewhat watertight. I cut a small "scupper" opening at the bottom of each bulwark at about the mid-ship point to drain any water that might get on the deck.
Since the basswood sheets I was using for the bulwarks wouldn't bend enough around the bow, I ended up carving some basswood blocks to fit. Then I glued two sheets together to fit in-between the long section of the bulwarks and the forecastle.
Finally I glued the more bendable 1/4 strips over both pieces to finish the side planking.
Meanwhile my Futaba 7C rx/tx and sail servos arrived. Happy manual reading time coming up. I've got to figure how (or if) I can program the servos to turn 140 degrees to rotate the masts (since that appears to be the limit on the S3802 sail servos) so I hopefully won't need the added complication and cost of servo stretchers.