HMS Beagle Model Ship Project
Week Two: Chisel me timbers (October 25-31, 2010)
More work on shaping the hull with hand axe and chisel/mallet. Some cracking starting to show in the wood before I was able to get the sides down to less than two inches thick. Plan to fill with wood filler later. I'm using the trunk of the pear tree as the work bench in the garage (too much wood chips and sawdust for inside). Thanks again to Treston from the Humane Society for chainsawing it for me.
Once the hull had the basic shape I wanted, I started using my father's old hand-me-down Sears Craftsman drill to sand the wood to more precise dimensions.
I measured for the keel and made a cardboard model to test. I then used my new jigsaw to cut out the real one from an oak board (1/4 inch x 2/12 inch x 24 inch). The tip of the stern post broke off (official Beagle SNAFU #1) so I had to glue it back on.
Meanwhile, shaping the hull continues, as its proving to be very difficult to exactly match the curves of the stem, sternpost and keel with the hull using my Mark I eyeballs. But its starting to finally look something like an actual ship's hull.