HMS Beagle Model Ship Project
Week 20: We have forecastle (Feb 28 - March 6, 2011)
Worked on the railing (or whatever it's called) for the forecastle. Couldn't figure out how to get the initial level of basswood strips to bend just right using the clamps I had, so had to hunker down and play 20 minute sessions of "shipyard hold 'em" aka holding-them-in-place-by-hand. Made the rails two planks thick and two high, then added a thicker strip for the top.
Planked the forecastle deck, using the same method as the main deck.
The forecastle's deck should begin about two-thirds up from the height of the bulwarks. Because of how I ended up having to carve and mount the fore bulwarks, I had to place the deck on top instead of recessed. So there is a 3/4 inch elevation to the forecastle rail that shouldn't be there -- although it ended up bringing the front of the forecastle to about the right level, since I didn't curve the deck fore and aft. The bowsprit also ends up coming out of the bow a little lower to the forecastle rail than it should. So a few "historical alternations" starting to crop up, but nothing that would distract the "as-seen-from-shore" viewing of anyone but an expert.
Also added the top railing along the bulwarks. Not sure if I'm going to make a whole bunch of little hammocks to lay on top or not. That would definitely be a "phase two" level of detail for me.