HMS Beagle Model Ship Project
Week 25: Crash! Sail templates (April 4-10, 2011)
Applied some more Marine Epoxy along the edges of my servo/mast connections to make the most secure cementing I can do. It's the first time I've raised the poop deck to work on the electronics underneath.
Did some stress testing on the masts, using a heavy pillowcase "sail" and high-speed fan. She tipped over and landed on her side, hitting her lower spars on the carpet -- holy crap! -- but held together. I tipped her 45 degrees to each side with the fan going full blast and kept the masts turning through their 154 degree rotation for about a minute. Looks solid for now...
Bought some Liquid Stitch and white Paint Pen for making the sails and ordered the recommended Supplex fabric from rockywoods.com. Apparently people who work at craft and fabric stores in Indy have never heard of it.
Put paper sheets up against the spars and traced the shapes for the sails, then cut the templates out of the paper. I made practice sails out of "Bounty" paper towels to double check the patterns. After almost half a year of building, it's actually pretty cool to finally see the shape of sails on her.
Official Beagle SNAFU#2: When I was measuring where the spars should attach to the masts for the mizzenmast, I measured from the top of the bulwarks (where the poop deck was). Unfortunately I did the same thing for the fore and mainmasts, forgetting the main deck was actually two inches lower than the top of the bulwarks. So the bottom spars (which I did last and didn't notice until too late) ended up being about 2 inches too low. Bugger. Since I was going to leave the bottom sails (courses) furled anyway, I guess I'll leave it for now.
My initial plan is to attach the sails onto the spars with white twist-ties that I've twisted to look like rope. This should make removing and furling/unfurling the sails fast and easy to do for now. Once I'm confident the rotating masts are going to work I'll figure out something more permanent.