HMS Beagle Model Ship Project
Week 31: Carpet thread (May 9-22, 2011)
Well I've had some slow progress with several problems the last two weeks. My attempt to unscrew the servo mount from the rudder servo resulted in the tiny screw stripping. Now I can't get it off to screw on a different servo arm. Arg. So, I ended up making a wooden arm and gluing it on top of the wood rudder guides that were still on the servo.
After trying to figure out a better way of installing the rudder's servo using wooden blocks and screws, I decided to just marine epoxy it to the not-entirely-flat hull. I coated the bottom of the servo and the plug with the waterproof epoxy, so hopefully it won't be an issue.
As I was working on the brass screw eyes for the mainmast to hang the spars from, three ended up breaking off . Arg. Apparently you can't put too much pressure while screwing them in, or bend them more than once to secure the spar's eyehooks.
I cut and installed copper tubing through the deck next to the fore and mainmast. Ran carpet thread through the tubes, over each mast's guides, and over to spars on each top sail. Nice to see some sails back on and working after a couple of slow weeks.