Theresa Marie Model Ship Project
Week 64: Caps, Ladders, Bell (Nov 11-17, 2013)
Lower masts. I used a small amount of epoxy to hold the lower masts and mast step plates in place, using the tops as a guide to get the right rake for the main mast. Shouldn't be too hard to pry it off in the inconceivable event I need to remove them.
Caps and eyehooks. I added the caps for connecting the masts to each other and started screwing in the many eyehooks for the masts and spars. I'll take Ray and Dan's advice and put the extra long connecting rods on the spars instead of the masts and attach a washer onto each rod to keep the masts level. Good to have such a wealth of experience to draw from.
Ladders. Next I assembled and painted the ladders for the forecastle and poop deck. I had to remove one rung for the forecastle ladder and add one for the raised poop to make them fit, a happy little serendipity. Both ladders were reinforced at the back and pinned to the removable decks.
Meow. I bought a pair of "see no evil, speak no evil" cat pins potentially for the ends of the catheads. It didn't look quite right there so I added them to the sides of the bulwarks underneath the poop overhang to guard the Captain's cabin. More ginger work for kids of all ages to discover onboard.
Veteran's Day Naming. In honor of a former sailor and now deceased brother of the real Papaw, Able Seaman Sam has been added to the crew of the Theresa Marie. I fashioned some mugs and a jug so they can forever be drinking and toasting onboard with Old Glory flying high overhead.